[kj] NYC show on sale Wed 12/19:

T.B. planetary at socal.rr.com
Tue Dec 18 17:09:01 EST 2012

Alex Smith wrote:

I saw the Stones twice -- on the Bridges to Babylon and Voodoo Lounge tours. While neither was especially intimate, they put on great shows both times. Of course, the tix for those shows were N O W H E R E near as expensive as they're currently asking -- which makes no fucking sense at all.

Seriously, $800? For that amount of money, Jagger's daughter should be sitting on my lap and ensuring my enjoyment of the proceedings at every conceivable moment.

I believe the price to order the PPV broadcast of last weekend's show was over $50.

I've seen The Stones 3 times - the '81 Tattoo You tour w/Prince, The J Geils Band and George Thurogood opening, the '88 BtB tour with Living Colour and Guns n' Roses opening and the Voodoo Lounge tour (I honestly can't remember who opened, lol!). The '81 show was fun, mostly because it was completely general admission so you could sit or stand wherever you wanted and we kept running into other friends and friends of friends throughout the day until by early evening, he had our own little mini pit of about 30 people who knew each other. Watching a then-unknown Prince get mercilessly pelted with trash and shoes a few songs into his set remains one of the funniest things I've ever seen at a show. I think the Bridges show was the best of the 3, mainly due to having 18th row floor isle seats and of course, the drama that was Guns n' Roses at the time. The Voodoo Lounge show really sucked, mostly because we were way back on the floor, couldn't see and the sound was awful. Really drove home the point that I had become sick of seeing any band in a stadium setting.

I haven't had much of an interest in seeing them ever since, not just because of ticket prices but because they're purely a nostalgia act the last 2 - 3 decades.

T.B.