[kj] The Orb & Lee Scratch Perry - Fact mix

Paul Gorman [Mobile] PaulGorman at ireland.com
Sat Aug 11 12:42:00 EDT 2012

They're all down to play this year's Electric Picnic, at the end of this month. I'm looking forward to it. Best I've seen Lee Scratch Perry, was at a Saint Patrick's day gig in Dublin, was more of a spiritual gathering than a gig, but that could well have been down to the weed I had on the night! ...lol

Neil Perry <65snoopy at gmail.com> wrote:

>I too had a grim experience going to see him in the 90s, only saved by

>the

>fact

>it was an On-U Sound night and the rest of the evening was great.

>I felt it was pretty unfair on the others last night - The Congos

>undoubtedly put on

>the most electrifying performance (they could have carried the whole

>gig)

>and Max Romeo

>had the crowd going due to his songs being the most well-known, so to

>have

>Scratch

>coming on after them deflated the mood a little bit. People were

>genuinely

>elated just to

>see the guy alive and kicking I think - and he was pretty funny to

>watch -

>but as a performer

>he was far outclassed by the others. Perhaps they put him on last so

>they

>know that after

>four or five songs they can just cut the power and gently usher him

>off...

>On 11 August 2012 15:06, <jpwhkj at aol.com> wrote:

>> Sounds great.

>> My only experience of Lee Perry live was unquestionably the worst gig

>> have ever willingly attended. I guess part of the problem was that I

>had

>> very high expectations, but even allowing for that it was awful. He

>> meandered around stage, muttered, started songs, stopped them,

>started

>> making pronouncements that tailed off.... Three of the four people I

>was

>> with walked out, and I'd have joined them except that I rather

>fancied the

>> fourth.

>> Jamie Lion

>>> n

>>> On 9 August 2012 17:52, folk devil <folk.devil at hotmail.com> wrote:

>>> I know some folks here will be interested in this :)

>http://www.factmag.com/2012/08/06/fact-mix-341-the-orb-lee-scratch-perry/

>>> "*It’s really not every day you get a podcast like this.*

>>> The Orb, innovators of ambient house and one of Britain’s all-time

>most

>>> celebrated electronic acts, have teamed up with the inimitable Lee

>>> ‘Scratch’ Perry, one of Jamaica’s greatest ever musicians, for a new

>album,

>>> *The Orbserver in the Star House. *As The Orb’s Alex Paterson put

>it, in

>>> *an

>interview*<http://www.factmag.com/2012/02/13/the-orb-to-release-album-with-lee-scratch-perry/>earlier

>this year, “we wanted to do a souly type, modern, minimal album

>>> with some reggae influences with [Perry's] vocals on top. I think

>its one

>>> of the best bits of work we’ve ever done.”

>>> To toast the album’s forthcoming release, The Orb and Perry have

>also

>>> teamed up for a FACT mix. God knows how you’re supposed to start

>>> tracklisting, or even describing it; FACT mix 341 is like a

>slow-motion

>>> kayak ride through a pipe of slurry, thick, overwhelmingly delayed

>>> basslines obscuring wonky melodies – some recognisable (‘What A

>Wonderful

>>> World’, ‘Zombie’), others from another planet entirely. Plus, of

>course,

>>> you get Perry toasting on top, though around half-way through he

>gets bored

>>> and toddles off for a while. Would you want it any other way? We

>certainly

>>> wouldn’t."