[kj] MMXII actual UK sales: 3,843

Brendan Quinn bq at soundgardener.co.nz
Wed Apr 11 05:02:05 EDT 2012

The metal community is notorious for its love of the torrents.

Metal album covers are even more shit than most (which are shit) so other
than those worried about the quality of mp3s, why bother with the physical?
Those that are can get FLAC versions anyway. Buy the CD and you get a crappy
plastic shell case that doesn’t work, a black border cover with a
postage-stamp sized picture of the band in LARP gear, snarling, gothic
writing in red, etc etc.

The only ‘metal’ CD I can think of in recent memory that’s got anything
decent to look at is good is Tool 10 000 days, which is 2006. (To me it felt
more recent, that’s because I’m getting old) And the artwork is brilliant,
actually feels like something that some care went into, from an artist with
a connection to the band, something unique in the magnifying glass things
etc.

The consumer has been shafted enough in having to buy the same product up to
4 times and pay full price each time: vinyl or cassette, CD (last you a
lifetime!), remastered CD, iTunes / mp3, so wah wah for the record
companies. Artists: make decent quality CDs with decent quality artwork like
the rest of the artistic community has been doing forever, tour your ass
off, put on a decent show, don’t suck, and you’ll earn a living. If not then
pick up a spanner and graft for a living like the rest of us. AND SHAVE
THOSE SIDEBOARDS HIPPIE!

/opinion