[kj] MMXII actual UK sales: 3,843

Rheinhold Squeegee kjlist at live.com
Tue Apr 10 13:38:33 EDT 2012

There are more bands releasing more music more cheaply with the ability to niche-market to a smaller segment while remaining profitable. This is the age of the long tail:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Long_Tail

Vinyl, special editions and live albums are where the money is at for warhorses like Motorhead and KJ.

The 4k is probably only physical sales within the UK. I don't believe this includes downloads and it certainly doesn't include sharing. The metal community is notorious for its love of the torrents.