[kj] In Cythera Down By The River with MMXXII (Alexander Smith)

Jim Harper jimharper666 at yahoo.co.uk
Sun Apr 1 07:20:07 EDT 2012

I've been able to give MMXII it's first real run-through over the past few days, and there are parts that didn't initially thrill me that I've definitely warmed to. I'm still not sure about Pole Shift and FEMA Camp, and I don't much like Rapture and Trance. The rest of it is quite excellent however, and 6 great tracks out of 10 still ranks pretty damn highly. It's worth bearing in mind that I can count the number of albums I like all the way though on one hand; MMXII isn't quite up there with 'Exile on Main Street', 'Album', 'Rumor and Sigh' and 'Haus der Luge', but it's still the best Joke album I've heard since Pandemonium, and that's more than enough to make me very happy indeed!

Jim.