[kj] KJ Video: Jaz claims to have played 2200 shows over 33 years...

B. Oliver Sheppard b.oliver.sheppard at gmail.com
Thu Sep 8 13:40:36 EDT 2011

I feel like I've joined the "burned by Killing Joke" club, myself. So my
response to "2200 shows" is -- LOL.

When I first joined this list almost half a decade ago (Jesus, how time
flies!), one of the first posts I saw was something about someone (I forget
who) saying they were thinking about suing Jaz Coleman for the "Gems of
Power" release that never materialized, but which, IIRC, people sent in
money for. Since then, every few months I've seen a lot of dispiriting tales
of KJ flakiness.

Of course, I held not only a ticket to the canceled Austin, TX Killing Joke
show from last May, I even bought the "VIP upgrade." I got the money back
for the upgrade, but not the CHaos in Tejas festival ticket. I actually
didn't press for a refund on that one, as I felt the guy who booked the
show, who is a very cool DIY punk type who got tons of other int'l bands on
the bill, deserved and needed the support. But it was a drastic burn from a
band that haven't played here for over 16 years.

-0liver