[kj] Genealogy of a riff

Rheinhold Squeegee kjlist at live.com
Mon Nov 28 17:25:26 EST 2011

Cr*p. That's what I meant. "Change," not "The Wait."

Take two.

Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2011 22:03:04 +0200
From: jari.t.pakarinen at gmail.com
To: gathering at misera.net
Subject: Re: [kj] Genealogy of a riff

If you listen to Change you might notice the similarity :)

2011/11/28 B. Oliver Sheppard <b.oliver.sheppard at gmail.com>

Hmm, well, if I pretend, and maybe smoke some weed, and put a cotton ball in one ear, I can vaguely hear a similarity between the War song and "The Wait," but it's extremely tenuous, and definitely not in the league of the Alien Sex Fiend, Siouxsie, et. al, "tributes" (*cough*) to "The Wait."

I'm sure I could go back and find a Brahms composition that had a similar lick in it somewhere, with different instruments, but saying Killing Joke's "The Wait" is a rip off of that War song or "inspired by" - is really wishful thinking for a War fan. I guess the Hawkwind one is a closer possibility given Jaz and Geordie's predilection for weird 70s rock, but it still feels not very convincing. Now, if you'd found a Led Zeppelin song with that "Wait" riff, I'd be convinced...

-0liver