[kj] Live at Apollo v JA

TB planetary at socal.rr.com
Sun Nov 20 17:36:20 EST 2011

ADRIAN WASON wrote:

> went to apollo london gig.

> rob moss  who i met outside will vouch i was sober for once

> thought the gig was ok.

> listening to the playback for the first time

> only enjoyed tommorows world and fresh fever

> as an aside i picked up the janes addiction new album with a live extra cd

> played been caught stealin and it had so much more energy than anything on the

> hammersmith live.

> raven described perry farrel as a rasping jewish child molester =whatever,,,,,

> the fact is killing joke are now a shit live band......

> they were the best live band in the world in

> 1991/2- Extremities

> 2005 Tour with raven and benny,

> 2003 early gigs were good with tp

> they need a good live bass player

> full stop.

++++++++++++++++

That Jane's Addiction show included with the "Great Escape Artist" new studio album is actually a fair at best show. Perry Farrell
is a shadow of his former self and he sounds horrible and weak on such songs as "Ain't No Right." And if you think the horrible
"Superhero" live with that laughably insulting "Mexican" intro by Farrell is any good, there's no help for ya, brother.

And disregarding what one may think about their live shows these days, the new album is mediocre at best. Many of the new songs
pretty much answer the "what if" question what you'd get if you crossed Jane's Addiction with U2 (or worse, Coldplay). I'm all for
a band exploring new styles in their music and growing as artists but the album sounds exactly what the circumstances of its
production indicates - a group of lazy, artistically bankrupt individuals using pro-tools to put together a bunch of wildly
disparate ideas that the singer (Farrell) recorded shitty lyrics and weak vox over entirely independent of the band.

As for Perry Farrell himself, the guy is an absolute joke now. His Yoko Ono-esque wife runs his life and has weaseled her way into
the band as a live "dancer," Perry is more interested in his annual Lollapalooza festival than being a decent singer or writer and
the band plays more corporate gigs for businesses like Apple and Nokia than they do for fans. In fact, they just canceled a NYE
show in Hawaii at a small arena to play a show in Aspen at a club for nearly $300 a ticket.

IMO, KJ's Hammersmith live release shits all over anything Janes has done since at least the average rawk of "Strays" almost a
decade ago.

I used to be a huge fan of Jane's Addiction, saw them many times from '88 to just over a year ago when Duff McKagen was on bass for
a few months - they've trashed their once-great legacy as bad as Van Halen has and really aren't worth a fuck now.

T.B.