[kj] OT Headcount supporting SLF

Neil Perry 65snoopy at gmail.com
Tue Mar 22 10:19:56 EDT 2011

I had to go and look all this up again as I couldn't remember the details,
it's been a while!

Gordon Ogilvie, who was their manager for a while, was a Daily Express
journalist (on Wikipedia he is a described as a "Marxist journalist on the
Daily Express",
which seems unlikely!)
It was he who apparently suggested to the band in their very early days that
they sang about
the Northern Ireland troubles - and he and Jake Burns wrote the songs
together,
with Ogilvie credited for many of the lyrics.
Of course when this was discovered by the music press back in the day they
had a right go (god I miss the music papers), as this suggested that SLF
were somehow not "authentic", or
were being controlled by this shadowy journo character with a hidden agenda.
All this meant nothing to me as a 13-year-old fan, of course.