[kj] Best Gig*(After 91)

pssyche23 antoni at clara.net
Tue Jul 12 15:57:51 EDT 2011

A few more to add from earlier times :

Elephant Fayre at St Germans in Cornwall was my festival (same as Jane) -
NMA were on before KJ - it was peeing it down but me & Fuzz blagged a
fanzine interview so spent some time in the backstage tent/s !

London Lyceum - Nov 1980 was my first - awesome with a prototype Tension as
encore - I had wanted to see them for several months, especially after
reading about the CND rally in Sounds plus the previous Lyceum gig where KJ
where third on the bill of 5 (below Wah Heat and Pink Military) but most of
the audience departed after Killing Joke finished their set (allegedly). The
next Lyceum gig (July 1981) was to promote WTF ! with The Meteors and
Bristol's roots reggae Talisman as support, it was a splendidly diverse
evening - a bootleg exists as "Live In London" - the last Lyceum gig after
the return from Iceland got a slating in Sounds where the hack infamously
said he walked out after 10 minutes - the first of series of Sounds hatchet
jobs (a paper that previously gave KJ a lot of good reviews). In an email
exchange the dearly departed black bird suggested to me that another Sounds
journo Valac Van Der Veene who gave the first album 5 stars and wrote an
equally glowing piece between the first two albums may have given the live
"Ha !" 10 inch a mere half a star (yes, it was that bizarre, Ha sounded
excellent and much more like Time Out had described as "heavy metal for
grown ups") after at least one member of the band mercilessly defiled his
girlfriend (allegedly).

First of their gigs at the Hammersmith Palais on 23/02/1982, recorded by
French TV (with almost b/w footage making it on TDARS clips) & the night
before Jaz walked off stage at Brighton and headed off to Iceland.

14/12/1982 - the Klub Foot at the Hammersmith Clarendon on a small "club
tour" to promote HA ! Utterly crazy gig, lots of new Firedances songs,
including The Hive which semi-morphed into Harlequin.