[kj] It's a Boxing Day miracle!

Jim Harper jimharper666 at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Dec 27 11:27:14 EST 2011

That's a question that I've had to consider a few times recently. I don't know if there are any hardened/ardent Stones fans on the list, but if there is, they've probably had to assess the 'viability' of the recent re-releases of Exile on Main Street and Some Girls, two albums I hold in high regard. The Rolling Stones are my absolute musical deities; they are the only band I've been a fan of since I was 13. Killing Joke and Bauhaus come after the Stones for me. Anyway.

Both of these two albums are remastered and come with an extra CD. Jolly good. But after a little digging around, I discovered that with the exception of 2 songs, all of the material on the Exile rerelease has been touched up by Mick and Keith, as well as long-time producer Don Was. This really threw me. I don't want to hear the M&K of 2010 tweaking and fiddling with earlier songs- I want to hear the Stones of '72, which is why I bought the album in the first place. Even worse is the presence of Mr Was. Although I've loved all of the post-Steel Wheels album, without fail I've been disappointed with his production. Somehow, he manages to make them sound nothing like the live, fired-up Stones. The revelation that he'd be adding his 'magic' to the outtakes did not make me happy. Then it turned out they drafted Mick Taylor to add a new solo to a track; once again, Mick Taylor of '72 was fantastic, but the MT of 2010 ain't. Still, at least they didn't get Ron
Wood to do it.

As any Stones fan will tell you, they've released whole albums of outtakes from other sessions, particularly when Mick & Keith were having a lovers' tiff. That poses the question, do songs *written* in '72 but not actually *recorded* until 1983 should be included? Besides, the lineup that recorded the song included Ron Wood, but the lineup that wrote had Mick Taylor. So Christ knows.

The same problems emerged with Some Girls. I did buy it, and immediately noticed the Was-provided flatness. There's some good songs on there, but you can't honestly say you're getting an expanded version of a classic album.

Sorry for the ramble. Truly in two minds about these editions.

Jim.