[kj] Broken Britain

Peter Moltesen sneakypete at uwclub.net
Fri Aug 12 11:37:36 EDT 2011

Well said Paula.

Pete in Birmingham

_____

From: gathering-bounces at misera.net [mailto:gathering-bounces at misera.net] On
Behalf Of Paula Cook
Sent: 12 August 2011 11:26
To: gathering at misera.net
Subject: Re: [kj] Broken Britain

I live in Ealing. The nearest the riots got to my home was about 200 yards.
I couldn't sleep Monday night with all the noise, sirens and helicopters.
The next day, most of the town centre was cordoned off. I just couldn't
believe the destruction. My hairdresser, beauty salon, corner shop, and all
my other local shops had been attacked. A family member of the beauty
salon's owner had been attacked trying to protect his business, his face a
mass of cuts and bruises. Some people had been attacked in their homes and
had to flee, their homes burnt out. Others had their cars burnt. Local
people, including myself, were in a complete state of shock.

I couldn't sleep Tuesday or Wednesday night because I was so frightened. I'm
in my mid-40s, live alone, am 5'1" tall and under 9 stone - and I only have
kitchen knives to protect myself against a mob invading my home.

Gatherers, no disrespect to any one of you, but I don't want to hear any
more excuses and justifications for this behaviour. There are none. London
is a city of opportunity. There is NO poverty in this country, the welfare
state ensures that. Poverty exists in parts of Asia, Africa and Latin
America; I've seen the shanties of Guatemala City, Managua and Panama City
with my own eyes, they are shocking, nothing like that here. We have it very
good indeed in this country compared with most other countries.

I want the full force of the law to come down on those responsible. I want
the law, for which I pay through my taxes, to protect me and make me feel
safe again in my own home. 3,000 police for 9 million Londoners is a joke,
we need the 16,000 we've had in the past few days to become permanent. I
would like to see a highly visible police presence in London from now on,
police have been conspicuous by their absence for a long time now. We need
the authorities to come down like a ton of bricks on all this "gangsta"
culture, hoodies and suchlike. I don't want to live my life in fear.

Stay safe Gatherers
Paula aka Nuclear Girl