[kj] Bloke on a bridge

GREG SLAWSON gregslawson at msn.com
Thu Sep 30 23:06:58 EDT 2010

It's amazing how dry British humor is, even when silly and potty-humor like below. The last time the US had anything as dry was probably "Bob and Ray" (I think), who probably both
died in the 80s or 90s (one was the dad of Chris Elliott, the actor w/the beard and balding head who was in "Something About Mary"). I remember owning an album (I think my dad got for me) of theirs,
and they did a whole bit about production in a paper clip factory, acting about as serious as you can be. Bob Newhart's early standup (as well as all his tv show characters) was pretty dry too, but
not really similar to UK humor.
My life, and the lives of tens of millions of Americans, it pretty much run by Seinfeld re-runs. People often call the show "brilliant" (yes, Americans use the term but to mean "really smart", not just "really good" like
it's used in the UK). I wouldn't call it that--just usually great acting, usually very good writing...but I think the reason it's still so huge (even though it started 20 years ago) is b/c the show TOTALLY satirezes Americans, esp.
the single, 90s, "nobody's good enough to date me" me-first types.