[kj] More bitching

sade1 saulomar1 at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 29 22:18:08 EDT 2010

Like both local television stations and newspapers, record stores need to
rethink themselves and once again appeal to[today's] people's local and
immediate needs and tastes.
How about a shop that sells anything out there but specializes in the local
music/video/arts scene or some underserved niche, maybe even helping to promote
local gigs, clubs, festivals, etc.  If they can become locally relevant,
knowledgable (become 'authority figures' or 'experts') and trustable to know,
provide, and be able to 'hook up' people's gig, tkt, pre-order, band-updates,
release dates and similar needs, they'd become an unsubstitutable local focal
point and prized local resource. If they can get industry-'insider' access, and
even priviledges, they'd have a place in people's lives again.

It's sort of what dj music stores provide now, and why some are valued (and some
more than others). Radio stations (Pirate radio, Indie 100.3 in Los Angeles, for
example) are trying this to some extent.

That all said, I am not saying record stores/mgm't. did it all wrong or got
lazy; they didn't.  I loved them stores and miss them lots. The only thing they
got wrong was how fast changes would come and how to stay abreast of it all
(that said, i'm sure the Much More Powerful Forces still would've crippled the
local music shops, methinks). I think they still have a niche to fill, and I
think with the right mind and gameplan, they will come back.

How to make it all profitable, fuck if I know, but I hope someone figures it
out.

Question to Gatherers:
how much of your music-knowledge/product needs that you used to satisfy at your
local record shop do you now turn here to the Gathering (and Gatherers'
associated websites) for?