[kj] ESS

Mark Kolmar mkolmar at gmail.com
Wed Sep 22 17:58:06 EDT 2010

Quotes bits below that I agree with the most. _Hosannas_ has deep
flaws. Still it has an MC Escher, HR Giger, Moebius quality that I
find deeply compelling.

I posted a notion, while Raven was active on the list, only somewhat
in jest, that the band should record on a mobile setup, camped in
Lower Slobovia with an ox for the roast and a bag of turnips. But -
High Tech. Set up around 3 or 4 mics, raw wood-steel-skin, yet
ambiguous computer-music production. For me, _Hosannas_ captures much
of that notion that I wanted to hear, and the album is an
idiosyncratic favorite for these reasons.

--Mark

On Mon, Sep 20, 2010 at 8:42 PM, Karen Weil <karen.weil at sddt.com> wrote:

> Hmmmm.... "BTATS" had some great songs, but also a few clunkers, too. It's

> definitely better than "Hosannas," however. (I just can't abide by all the

> gutteral singing by Mr. Coleman on nearly every song.)

[...]