[kj] So new album..where does it stand

Jim Harper jimharper666 at yahoo.co.uk
Sun Sep 12 07:37:35 EDT 2010

I don't think the Joke's multiple absences from music-making have helped their status much... Plus, New Order and the Cure have a pretty mainstream fanbase these days- the Joke are still (and probably always will be) a band much beloved by punks, goths, metallers, no matter what those old punks are wearing these days... ;)

Not many of the young post-punk-inspired bands cite the Joke as an influence. I think part of the reason is that Killing Joke were embraced by the  young metal, industrial and goth audiences long before the recent wave of bands inspired by their contemporaries (Gang of Four, Joy Division etc etc). Look at all those tracks on the covers CD: Metallica's one is twenty years old, and most of the others are around a decade old.

Myself, I think it's kind of cool that Killing Joke have had their status for quite so long. They've been a 'legendary' band for more than 20 years now.

Jim.