[kj] So new album..where does it stand

n0153 jr nomeanswhat at gmail.com
Fri Sep 10 06:05:02 EDT 2010

I listened to it 7 or 8 times yesterday until the missus asked me not to
anymore... I definitely see traces of Night Time, BTATS aside form the
obvious earlier influence in the form of Ghost of Ladbroke Grove... but
there are also some guitar lines that seem lifted from their earlier albums,
such as the one on Here Comes the Singularity. It sounds Firedances-y to
tome... Depthcharge sounds very Pandemonium to me, brings Whiteout and
Exorcism to mind. There are also some small passages of tribal drumming
scattered here and there and they hark back the golden years. but what's
even more gratifying to me is to catch glimpses of newer stuff on their
repertoire, such as the almost hard rock tinged still heavy as hell riff on
The Great Cull, one of the best tracks on the album.
jaz's singing is superb throughout... he sounds flawless to me. he shouts
when he needs to, he sings when we want him to. I have never seen a singer
that is capable of inflecting such different emotions in a single word like
jaz can... he can start it very angry and end it in a mellow nostalgic
manner... I simply love his singing in it, more so than any other album, I'd
venture to say.
all of the guys are on top of their game... youth's bass is simply out of
this world perfect... big paul's drums are perfectly suited for the Joke, no
other drummer should ever have occupied his spot!
I believe they have delivered exactly what most of us wanted... this album
is in parts damn heavy, very melodic, nostalgic yet with a clear view of the
future in sight. I can't get tired of it.
Rank it 5 stars for me. Up there with the best the Joke has ever made.