[kj] Cologne impression 02.10.2010

Marcel spooman at freenet.de
Fri Oct 8 19:56:21 EDT 2010

Impression from the Cologne gig 02.10.10

The venue had been changed from the Werkstatt to the Luxor on short
notice. The local promoter who had been forced to take a walk to the
nearby kiosk because Jaz stole his lighter (again) said that this was
due to the Werkstatt people being unwilling to meet some of the bands'
most simple wishes. He said that in contrast to the crew the band seemed
to be in a fairly good mood but -- surprise, surprise - a bit out of it.
Unfair and ignorant, but I missed the opening band on purpose and got in
during Tomorrow's World. The Luxor is a notorious, but not ideal club.
I'm bad at guessing numbers -- suffice to say it's a rather small club,
that suffers a bit from it's tubelike layout, as it has a very small
"pit" in front of the stage and then gets quite tight towards the bar,
hall and exit. So it seemed like a good idea to get to the front, where
you have a lot of space at the left side of the stage -- so if you're
keen on watching Geordie only you can do so very comfortably. Just a few
feet to the right you're in the middle of the pit, which is where I
sneaked into during the 2nd song In Excelsis. Honestly I hadn't expected
such a vivid crowd. Who said oldies don't know how to party? But
seriously, it's been a mixed crowd age-wise, even right in front of the
stage -- rather tiny girls who experienced gentlemanlike behavior
unheard of at events labeled as rock concerts... and exhausted
30somethings like myself having fun.

Jaz seemed to have fun, although he lost the struggle with the right
notes in European Super State. Sorry, but Jaz vs. supporting tape vox
0:1. Youth and Paul did a solid job while Geordie did the thing we love
him for. A bit of red wine, a guitar-tech who's only job seemed to be
that of constantly supplying Geordie with fags and the man himself
spinning his nets of sound inspired by something somewhere out there.

Unfortunately the sound could have been better and seemed a bit too
distorted coming out of the PA. Right in front of the stage it was quite
good.

When I attended the Luxor - show during the Hosannas tour the sound had
been mesmerizing as I recall it. Although it had been a downer that
Raven had departed to Ministry without my knowledge (and I off course
had not been able to see tomorrow and didn't realize I didn't just miss
ONE chance to see him play...), and the crowd was alarmingly small
(maybe 70 -- 90 people at the only gig in Germany!) it had been a total
blast for me. After that gig I wondered if I was fit to drive home after
all these drugs, when I realized I was totally sober. On that particular
night Complications, Pssyche and the Pandemonium guitar had send me on
one of the most intensive trips I've ever been on. And this is no blahblah.

Well, back to 2010: Although there were 5 encores on the setlist (The
Raven King and Complications among them) they only played Pandemonium,
still seeming to have fun themselves.

I never had the chance of meeting one of the guys, so I was delighted to
see that Youth came out of the club about 40 minutes after the concert
and stood on the sidewalk to have a smoke. Needless to say I took the
chance and had the chat with him. After all I have heard about these
guys -- last not least from some of you on here - I wasn't shocked but
still pleasantly surprised to encounter such a nice person, who wouldn't
even give me a chance to make a fool out of myself (and allow me a toke
of his sweets). According to him everything was going well, except of
him and Jaz struggling with a bit of a flu. A great evening. Someone has
posted the setlist here. It's accurate except that they have omitted the
encores that haven't been played.

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/killing-joke/2010/luxor-cologne-germany-bd53106.html

Marcel