[kj] Feast of Fools

folk devil folk.devil at hotmail.com
Mon May 24 13:42:15 EDT 2010

:D

"His compositions of theme tunes and scores accompanied many series,
including Are You Being Served?, The Rise and Fall of Reginald Perrin,
and Blankety Blank.He was the man to whom producers - invariably
with a scant portion of their budget remaining - would turn when they
needed a spot of music for a show. He could turn limited
instrumentation to good account, creating something which fittingly
heralded the programme in question. In themselves, and by dint of
repetition, they were memorable, some said insidious. Hazlehurst was
certainly unique among composers in gaining a spoof showing on a
Spitting Image disc which includes an item - with Harry Enfield - which
purports to be a South Bank Show profile. Written by Ian Hislop and
Nick Newman, with musical contribution by Keith Strachan (himself
guilty of co-writing the Cliff Richard single Mistletoe and Wine), this
depicted Hazlehurst at work on a requiem with characteristic plinking
and booming effects to punctuate the grief. Hislop said they never
heard from him about the sketch."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/news/2007/oct/12/guardianobituaries.obituaries