[kj] (OT) The Religion of Peace, Love and Understanding

phil phil.tofield at virgin.net
Sat May 8 10:02:39 EDT 2010

It seems to me, as is often the case when people discuss Richard
Dawkins, that he is being either misunderstood or misquoted. Dawkins
doesnt claim to be 100% correct and anyone who disagrees with him
wrong. Nor does he claim to be 100% convinced as to the non-existence
of god. The whole basis of the God Delusion is that, based on the
available evidence, god is very improbable.

I remember a passage in the book where he presents a 7 point scale of
belief, where 1 is absolute total belief that god exists and 7 is the
opposite, total atheism. Dawkins places himself at number 6 - that he
thinks god is very improbable but cannot, of course, know for certain.

I read The Blind Watchmaker recently, one of the most inspiring books
Ive ever read.