[kj] [veryOT] New MIA Video

Leigh Newton angrytomhanks at yahoo.com
Sat May 8 01:33:30 EDT 2010

Don't agree with ripping on Paper Planes at all.

What M.I.A. (actually, Diplo is the one who probably put the track together or maybe they both did, anyway...) did was take a part from the Clash tune that features for about 20 seconds maximum in the original song and made an entirely new song with it. It's like they saw the potential in that one short part of Straight to Hell, isolated it, expanded upon it and it takes on a life of its own, completely indepenant of Straight to Hell. That, to me, is the exact opposite of lazy.

I've never understood why something is automatically qualified because it was played on a guitar and why something is immediately invalidated because it is based on a pre-existing piece of music. There is a difference between the two, of course, but don't automatically assume that the latter is the inferior approach or whatever.

MIA ripping on Lady Gaga is pretty dumb, I agree. Not because MIA has problems of her own, more to do with the fact that Lady Gaga deals specifically in the Top 40 realm so, as edgy as she might seem (yeah right), she's obviously got a lot of other people to please other than herself. All of which makes her an easy target. I like MIA WAY more than I like Lady Gaga. But I still like Lady Gaga (except for that new Fernando song which sucks shit).

Leigh

 http://www.nightruiner.com
http://www.myspace.com/thesunthroughatelescope
http://www.myspace.com/lauderdale