[kj] Book? Why, perhaps a film could be made that dramatized the old days?

GREG SLAWSON gregslawson at msn.com
Fri May 7 23:10:51 EDT 2010

Glad to hear someone else enjoys it. It's a good example of how a movie can slowly build up to a good, long climax (sound sexy, eh?). Do you know some of the small parts/cameos?--The former TexAss governor's brother (great quote: "Einstein was probably one of them"), former leading astronomer/UFO scientist (no spoken part), and the synthesizer guy who was not an actor but a real sythesizer guy, who took extra time off work to "act" in the movie. Funny, the only flaw I've found in the film is when the scientist/technicians were supposed to be gawking at the aliens and were looking in different directions.

Here are some of my other fave films from the past 30 years or so: Awakenings (DiNero/Robin Williams in a casting/acting masterpiece), What About Bob (fave comedy, and I don't even like Bill Murray), Mr. Holland's Opus (ok, I am a teacher and of course love music--this movie was spot on), Born on the Forth of July (intense and mostly historicaly accurate), Dawn of the Dead (briefly spoke w/director George Romero last Wed as he did a signing at a punk rock record store), and for purely (communist) politics, They Live (no joke), City of Joy (about India), and for a recent film about a real communist, Denzel Washington in Great Debaters.