[kj] Band's sound on next cd

B. Oliver Sheppard bigblackhair at sbcglobal.net
Tue Mar 23 19:57:23 EDT 2010

So does everyone here like a slick, expensive, "intruments spread way
far apart"/stereo-to-the-max type sound???

Because, honestly, the version I heard of "Endgame" was pretty damn
cool, ripped from streaming web audio or not. (And it was.)

It did not sound like multimillionaires were lurking in the shadows
behind the production, throwing money at sound engineers. Granted, I am
also a fan of DIY, lo-fi, garage-y, "authentic" type punk sounds. But
sometimes I get the feeling that 50% of Killing Joke fans want
everything to sound slick and polished like "Love Like Blood" - forever
& ever more, and that they cringe at the idea the band who made "The
Wait" (metal) and "Are You Receiving?" (lo-fo yet brilliant early punk)
might sound anything less like some slick Top 40, over-produced type of
band.

Me, I like sludgy, lo-fi, trebly, etc., type sounds. Maybe I'm
idiosyncratic compared to most KJ fans that way - I dunno. But i LOVED
the version of "Endgame" I heard. I do NOT want to hear some slick type
crap where it's full bore stereo and every instrument is clean and
spread way far apart in a super-duper iMax 3D type setup. Give me a
break. not ven they wanted that on Hosannas. Which I LOVED. I think Jaz
knows what he is doing. I liked "Time Wave."

-Oliver