[kj] OT: 'Gibson' [coughs] es295 for $375.00!

B. Oliver Sheppard bigblackhair at sbcglobal.net
Fri Mar 12 10:49:39 EST 2010

China/Hong Kong seem to be just havens for this sor of thing. I have to
admit, I have sen some high-end, name brand fashion stuff for very cheap
on eBay - only to see the originating place was from Hong Kong or China.
I was like, "Hmm - is this legit?" I ordered the stuff anyway. And I did
in fact get it. If they were/are bootlegs/fake designer clones, they did
a damn good job at it - some of the clothes are indistinguishable as far
as I can tell, have gotten compliments on them, have held up very well
over a couple of years, etc.

Of course, clothing is wayyyy different than instrument quality, esp. if
you are a serious musician looking to use the instrument in a serious,
studio sorta way. Still, the bootleg thing in China seems to extend
wayyyy beyond ilegally copying DVDs, etc.

-Oliver