[kj] Latest Blog Post from Youth:

B. Oliver Sheppard bigblackhair at sbcglobal.net
Wed Mar 10 16:04:27 EST 2010

That's true. A famous statement of FDR's when he would meet with union
leaders, feminists, etc., was, "I agree with you, now please MAKE me do it!"

In other words, he wanted to enact the programs - he hired the social
worker Frances Perkins as the first female Sec'y of Labor, also the
first female in the executive branch at that point - but he knew he
couldn't do it unless there was a groundswell of support behind him.
There was more organization along the lines of ending Prohibition (which
FDR, a Democract, did), ending child labor (which FDR, a Democrat, did),
starting the minimum wage (which FDR, a Democrat, did), starting
retirement/penision insurance (which FDR, a Democract, did),
unemployment pay (which FDR, a Democrat, did), regulating the 40 hr
workweek (which FDR, a Democrat, did), fighting fascism (which FDR, a
Democrat, did, and successfully, too), regulating Wall Street a la the
SEC (which FDR, a Democract, did) - these all had strong grassroots
organizational backing.

In the US now we have a dispirited left and a "populist" (blegh) tea
party movement who thinks everything needs to be undone and we should
live an a 19th century sort of legal system where anything goes as long
as its "freely agreed upon," totally ignoring power structures that
exist in the private sector between wealthy and poor. Obama is of the
Carter/Clinton school that says welath must be appeased because "Hey we
can all get along."

Wrong. We can't.

-Oliver