[kj] (OT) 2009 earnings

TB planetary at socal.rr.com
Sun Mar 7 17:30:40 EST 2010

folk devil wrote:

I wonder how these were earned? People sure don't sell their releases anymore..

01 U2 $109 million
02 Bruce Springsteen $58 million
03 Madonna $47 million
04 AC/DC $44 million
05 Britney Spears $38.8 million
http://uk.news.launch.yahoo.com/dyna/article.html?a=/100301/340/ivjig.html&e=l_news_dm

++++++

Um, the article pretty much explains it:

"The band (U2), who played across the USA on their '360° Tour', raked in almost twice as much as Bruce Springsteen, who came second.

Elsewhere in the Top 10, Britney Spears sealed her comeback to the pop frontline by finishing fifth, while Coldplay were the biggest
UK earners.

Their total of $27.3 million placed them in eighth, while Michael Jackson grossed $17.3 million to come out in 20th place."

********

Those top 5 artists all made most of their money from touring and selling merchandise in 2009. I think AC/DC actually had the
highest selling new album of that group but had by far the lowest average ticket prices for their tour.

While U2's stadium tour was incredibly successful, the extremely high cost of the massive production meant that the band operated at
a loss for most of 2009.

Michael Jackson's death last year resulted in unprecedented interest in his old albums via cds and downloads, as well as his "This
Is It" movie and home video release.

T.B.