[kj] Oh so OT - More BP fanpics

Matthew Burke marsboy1 at msn.com
Mon Jun 7 02:22:56 EDT 2010

Forgive my conspiracy theory hair-trigger, but any time I see a story that involves genetic engineering I'll take the scientist's name and google it with the word eugenics, often to interesting results.

I found this about Craig Venter on a site called oldthinkernews.com (and it does include links to back its claims).

And to come full circle with Sade's comments at the start of this thread, the world IS being run by sociopaths, and like all ruling sociopaths since the beginning of history they want to be God, and what better place for a budding all-knowing being than to be manipulating the very structure of humanity . . . (you can use my google trick with any name or institution mentioned in this article for extra credit)

Craig Venter caused many to
question his ethics when he moved to found Celera Genomics in 1998,
carrying
the study of the human genome into the private sector, using the
"shotgun strategy" to sequence the human genome at a faster clip
than the public project.

In a press release dated March 1,
2001, Celera Genomics announced that it signed a
"multi-year
agreement" with AMDeC LLC to "allow member institutions to access
Celera's database information [Human Genome data] through its Celera
Discovery System." Some of those member institutions included
Rockefeller University, and Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory.
Interestingly, Rockefeller University was founded
by John D. Rockefeller in 1901 with a dedication to biomedical
research. Today, David Rockefeller, grandson to John D. Rockefeller
Jr., is the Chairman of
the Rockefeller University Council.

Venter further maddened fellow
scientists
when he moved to patent human genes.
Serious ethical discussions took place after the first attempts to
patent human genes, but ultimately the decision stood to allow
patenting. The United States Patent and Trademark Office issued
guidelines on patenting. The American Medical Association

describes the guidelines,

"The rules are intended to
help end a bitter debate on gene patenting. These regulations
have put to rest any question about whether genes can be
patented at all -- making it clear that companies may indeed
patent both whole genes as well as pieces of genes..."

The guidelines allow patenting
when the those applying for a patent on a gene show a "utility" for
the gene. The AMA goes on to state that arguments were heard
opposing the decision based on the fact that these genes were not
created by anyone, and thus could not be patented. The AMA describes
how the Patent office rejected these ideas,

"The PTO firmly rejected this
notion based upon the fact that a gene may be removed from a
person, then a clone of that gene may be made in a machine,
which is then not a part of nature, but a product of the lab."

A search in the online patent database

for "human genes" yields an astonishing 159021 results as
of August 2007.