[kj] (OT) Drilling for oil in L.A.

TB planetary at socal.rr.com
Tue Jul 20 20:57:48 EDT 2010

folk devil wrote:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/11/18/secret-oil-rigs-in-los-an_n_362153.html

"Did you know that LA sits on top of the third largest oil field in the country? Did you know oil rigs are scattered covertly
throughout the city, placed near schools, malls and even a farmer's market? HuffPost Green did not know about this until we watched
this awesome short from Palladium Boots about the secret, underground network of the LA oilfields and rigs hidden in plain sight as
fake office buildings and flower-painted sculptures."

Anyone who's lived locally in coastal Orange County, Long Beach and LA proper knows this. Take a drive along PCH around Huntington
Beach. There's plenty of oil rigs, some working, some rusting away not just in plain sight, but some facing back yards of homes
right around Main Street across from the HB pier. There's about a dozen offshore platforms some as close as a mile from the beaches.

Here's a shot of me standing next to a spill clean-up in Newport Beach around 1990 (wearing my ever-fashionable "Killer Lords"
Lords of the New Church shirt).

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h26/Partyslammer/TBOilSpillNewport-1.jpg?t=1279673720

T.B.