[kj] (OT) Jane's Addiction New Bass Player Is..........

The Mighty TB planetary at socal.rr.com
Mon Jan 25 23:09:58 EST 2010

"Leigh Newton" wrote:

> This doesn't do much to negate my "Jane's Addiction were LA Glam Metal

> with dreadlocks" theory.

Back in the late 80's Janes was a great fusion of The Doors, Bauhaus,
Grateful Dead and Led Zeppelin. Most late 80's "glam" hair metal bands took
their influences from The Rolling Stones, Aerosmith, AC/DC and Hanoi Rocks.
Jane's was pretty far away from "glam metal" tag, especially as Gun's n'
Roses came together around the same time and played the LA area club scene
directly competing with each other. I saw both bands during their club days
and they attracted vastly different crowds - GnR brought the jack n' coke,
cocaine fueled boneheads, Jane's brought the heroin and LSD stoners. I will
say back in that time, I preferred bands like Guns n' Roses and most of the
other Hollywood sleaze bands straight ahead rock n' roll over Janes who
often struck me as a bit pretentuous usually when Perry started going on
about some hippy stoner bullshit.

I think these days, especially the LA area rock veterens, they'll team up
with anyone they can to have a paying gig, no matter how far apart their
respective genres once were.

T.B.