[kj] Off-Topic: Info request for UK or Canadian gatherers: NOT KJ-RELATED

Rheinhold Squeegee kjlist at live.com
Thu Jan 21 11:16:35 EST 2010

Hi-

this is completely non-KJ related.

I work for a company that develops commercial and professional web sites for clients throughout the US and we are currently branching out into both the UK and Canada.

I get the feeling, however, that there is a misperception here that web users in the UK and Canada access and use the Internet in the same way we do here in the US. I remember seeing comments a few years back about how UK web access was hampered because there were per-minute phone charges in addition to web access charges.

In the US, the majority of people with more than a dial-up connection (do we still have those?) will have unlimited time access via cable or some other broadband access, with some restrictions on total bandwidth, or access will be bundled along with a cell phone or cable plan. In other words, we have full access, all the time.

Question: How is web access today the same or different for the average user in the UK or Canada? Are there any significant differences that impact how the user accesses the web, and how much time they spend doing so, i.e. phone charges, bandwidth restrictions, legal issues?

Any responses would be greatly appreciated. Sorry if this offends any of the forum purists, but I've always found the members here to be helpful and insightful.

Regards,

JF