[kj] OT - And now for something entirely different..

Brendan bq at soundgardener.co.nz
Thu Jan 14 03:29:02 EST 2010

Hard to make out what's going on, not sure why the Ady Gil wasn't moving
(much), but it's obvious the jap ship turned to bear down on them. Pretty
flash idea to keep the water canon on them after ripping the boat apart
(it subsequently sunk, although not incredibly quickly). Turns out they
hired aussie spotter planes earlier on to keep an eye on the protest
boats...

As far as I'm concerned the Japanese whalers can get the fuck out of our
back yard and I wish the NZ / Aussie govts would have some balls to do
something about it. But Japan is Australia's largest export market (for
over 40 years), and NZ's 3rd largest.

>From what I know the demand for whale meat in Japan is very low, they

stockpile it and the stockpile is growing, the govt tries to drum up
demand for it with advertising but there's not a lot of interest in it. I
think they are of the opinion though that if they give in on this it's the
thin end of the wedge, not sure if they really give a shit about the
whaling. But the pretext they use is that it's for scientific
reasons...for some reason Japanese science needs dozens or hundreds of
whales harpooned every year.

PS: The Minister of the Environment in Aussie is Peter Garrett, ex or
current lead singer of Midnight Oil...as far as I can tell his political
career so far serves to prove the lie to everything he was singing about
back in the day.