[kj] (OT) The Cult on Killing Joke

Jim Harper jimharper666 at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Jan 4 09:13:27 EST 2010

Afternoon all...

Being the recovering goth that I am, I bought the four-CD box of The Cult's Love over Christmas. There's a sizeable booklet with it that contains lots of quotes from various interviews, reviews and articles, including a couple of interesting mentions of the mighty Joke. The first is from Billy Duffy:

"We were into the classics, but we were still into Psychedelic Furs, Billy Idol and Killing Joke- they were a little bit older than us- it was dance rock. No-one played you on the radio so you made 12"s for the clubs and built that way with a big back beat, all the bands were doing it: Play Dead, Sisters of Mercy. We were conscious that everything had to groove."

And the second is from Ian Astbury:

"The Mission and the Sisters of Mercy were playing the Royal Albert Hall and they had Hell's Angels doing security and the night before Wayne and I went to see Killing Joke and we met Jimmy Page there. He was pretty fucked up and incoherent but we were blown away meeting him."

Quite interesting, I thought!

Jim.

NOW AVAILABLE: Flowers From Hell: The Modern Japanese Horror Film, by Jim Harper (Noir Publishing).

"Fascinating overview of the Japanese horror boom... Comprehensive, in-depth and slickly presented."- DVD Monthly.

Available from Noir Publishing, Amazon.co.uk, Waterstones and all good bookstores.