[kj] SOUNDGARDEN REUNION 2010

Brendan bq at soundgardener.co.nz
Sat Jan 2 20:41:18 EST 2010

They had more than their fair share of dud performances, true, and they
admit that, but I wouldn't go as far as saying they were mediocre at best.
they were definitely fickle for the last 4-5 years of their existence
prior to splitting in 97.

I think they just got sick of playing the same stuff over and over...they
pulled out of a tour when Cornell's throat crapped out, on which they were
playing 6 nights a week. Their material just doesn't lend itself to that
level of repetition, if the audience don't get that same high-C scream
from Cornell at the perfect pitch and all that power and control, it'll
sound flat. Sorta similar with Thayil's solos...recorded very ambitiously.
But they also sometimes looked like a band who didn't enjoy each other's
company, being on the road, playing the same material, whatever
combination of the above. I think they suffered from pretty poor
management personally...as per that awful promo shot.

Here's an excerpt from the doco Hype, all about the Seattle thing, which
while shit quality, I think is a decent example of mid-late period (93 I
think) Soundgarden live.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3R0_XFVZwJM

Another version of same:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdO6ho_JFm8&feature=related