[kj] FW: Forum discs a tenner (free p+p) link

Neil Perry 65snoopy at gmail.com
Wed Feb 24 06:00:14 EST 2010

>From Wiki:

The name *Shepherds Bush* is thought to have originated from the use
of the common
land <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_land> here as a resting point for
shepherds <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shepherd> on their way to Smithfield
Market <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smithfield_Market> in the City of
London <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/City_of_London>.[1]<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shepherd%27s_Bush#cite_note-0>An
alternative theory is that it could have been named after someone in
the
area, because in 1635 the area was recorded as "Sheppards Bush Green".

London is a wee bit older than US cities ;-), hence many of the curious
names for areas/regions. As for venue names, most are old
music halls or theatres built between the late 1800s and 1930s (Brixton
Academy was built in 1929 and used to be called the
Astoria, Kentish Town Forum was built in 1934. Shepherds Bush Empire was
built in 1903 and Charlie Chaplin once performed there.) Why 'Forum',
'Astoria' and 'Empire' etc were so popular I don't know, a trend of the
times I guess, possibly because they wanted
something that sounded grand and classy?

As you were.