[kj] Austin

Alexander Smith vassifer at earthlink.net
Sat Feb 20 17:12:01 EST 2010

To be fair, I was evicted from my cozy spot on the cutting edge
several years ago, but certain friends of mine are still very much
obsessed with new music and are constantly hipping me to new bands,
new songs and such. While I too am biased towards the music of the
past decades, to write off the current crop of bands as being devoid
of spontaneity is somewhat myopic.

Newish bands I'd suggest checking out: Yeasayer, Fucked Up, Pissed
Jeans, Les Savy Fav, Vampire Weekend (yes, even them), Mew, Grizzly
Bear, Cold Cave, Be Your Own Pet (though I think they've since split),
Deerhunter, School of Seven Bells, White Rabbits, Cursive, The
Submarines, Chairlift, Airborne Toxic Event, We Are Scientist, Love Is
All, Titus Andronicus, Art Brut, The Shout Out Louds, The Black Lips,
Crystal Stilts and Coachwhips (these are just a few of the things I've
been listening to).

As with every decade, there is indeed quality music out there -- but
you have to dig a little deeper to find it.

Alex in NYC