[kj] OT: Rip Torn Hitting Norman Mailer With A Hammer!

Brendan bq at soundgardener.co.nz
Sun Feb 7 18:06:33 EST 2010

I think it might be on Sky (satellite). Actually as much as I scorn
celebrity goss, Richard Dawkins reckons it's natural to take a keen interest
in other people's sex lives, for all sorts of genetic reasons I'm too dull
to have remembered. Something about having information about the
reproductive fitness of your potential mates in the tribe etc.

PS: There's a bit of a back story to that loony episode that hints that
Mailer might have had something to do with it. Not that I'm condoning
attacking a guy with a hammer while he's out with his kids (!) but you do
have to ask why the camera was rolling, and kept rolling. Anyway apparently
he was doing some boring avant garde thing where he was the director and an
actor but he slipped in and out of his character and tried to stir shit with
the actors to bring out whatever lay dormant (Killing Joke album recording
101), apparently it didn't come across nearly as arty or experimental as
he'd hoped, everyone on the set was fucked off at being lorded over and that
the story didn't have an ending (which was supposed to be that the director
was assassinated) and so Rip decided to give it one and assassinate him.
There's a rumour they might both have been tripping at the time too.

http://subcin.com/maidsilences.html