[kj] Killing Joke at The Wiltern

LONESTYLE at aol.com LONESTYLE at aol.com
Mon Dec 20 03:33:57 EST 2010

I wonder how many tickets they sold too?

~ LB

In a message dated 12/19/2010 10:10:25 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,
countessghoulita at aol.com writes:

TB,

thank you for another amazing report :)

Yes, the weather did not do any good for people to wait outside at the
venue. When we arrived shortly before 8pm, the security let us in really fast
and efficiently, which was a blessing. The crowd was pretty mixed, it was
good not to see "hipsters" in American Apparel/Hot Topic this time. Of
course, also some really interesting characters were in attendance, but this was
a Killing Joke gig, and everything is possible ;)

I agree with you when you wrote that the venue did take a long time to
fill up. The stage at The Wiltern is too high, and there were no barriers in
front of the stage, so Miche and I opted for standing at the general
admission area instead, where we gained a top spot; we thought that the crowd in
the "pit" would have crunched us to bits, as this would be the case in a KJ
event. We could have actually been in that pit and bring more life to it,
after seeing that the audience there was really motionless and passive
especially in the central area in front of the stage, to our disappointment and
total disbelief. We could spot Cliff & Kara in the back of the pit area,
and see they truly had an amazing time during the show :)
I think the folks next to and behind us must have loved our jumping,
slamming, dancing, singing and screaming. At this point I have no voice and can
only speak through signs (hi, LB: this is the Xmas present from your wife,
enjoy!) I had an amazing work-out, plenty of fun and still lots of
adrenaline in me ;)

As far as the opening band is concerned, they didn't sound like Bauhaus at
all to me (sorry about that). Both the drummer and the percussionist were
really good, and their sound made me think more of Ginger Baker rather than
Kevin Haskins, and the two band members playing organ and keyboards made
me think of Iron Butterfly especially on one song. If Bauhaus need to be
mentioned, the only man who can play maracas on stage and get away with it is
Peter Murphy.

The sound quality was not to good (perhaps it was better for those
standing in the upper levels of the theater.) BPF stole the entire gig, he's a
beast. Geordie was amazing, but visibly annoyed at the paparazzo who would not
stop appearing at his side to take pictures like a ghost, then darting to
the other side of the stage to snap more shots. That is annoying, and
unprofessional. Nevertheless, Geordie never lost his concentration throughout
the concert, even when, at a certain point, he turned his head to the
paparazzo and must have charred him with a death stare.

A truly positive aspect of the gig and venue was that Jaz was able to
express himself to the best of his ability. He wasn't "talkative" at the HOB
two years ago, but we also know the HOB is when it comes to artists speaking
their mind. He indeed was quick in introducing and commenting "Love Like
Blood" as stated in the LA Weekly blog today.
He took really great care in introducing the new tracks, and those who are
not familiar with "Absolute Dissent" could receive a nice insight, short
and sweet ;)

As TB said, the new tracks are really, really tight live. I am sure "Here
Comes The Singularity", Kali Yuga" and "The Raven King" would have been
simply stunning live if they were part of the set.
.
"ESS" and "This World Hell" offered the only consecutive break for me from
screaming before and after them, singing and slamming/dancing.

I am happy that the band will enjoy some really well-deserved rest. They
were truly energetic last night, despite the technical constraints related
to the sound quality. I missed Youth, and the way he shows how much he loves
playing on the stage is simply priceless.

CG