[kj] NYC Reviews?

Matthew Burke marsboy1 at msn.com
Sun Dec 5 04:09:59 EST 2010

My turn.

You've got the basics, just a couple thoughts.

A noticeable amount of youth in attendance. Thankfully. Our age bracket may not have maintained the intensity that the pit took on toward the end of the show.

I agree that it wasn't the best or worst show. It would be unfair to compare it to the last tour, which was of a higher emotional level for a number of reasons. On Friday, though, when they hit their groove they were pure Joke, shamanistic, powerful. What a force Big Paul is behind the drums! Geordie's level was infinitely better than last time, but still not high enough for me. Age has taught me not to take anything for granted, and when the riff for Love Like Blood played I felt very thankful that I was there to see it live yet again, not knowing when or if there'd be a next time. Such sentimentality was brushed aside however by the time of Fall of Because when I think I pulled a muscle in my neck because I'm a doddering old fuck that gets sentimental at Killing Joke shows.

Youth is not a singer.

I was surprised that ESS sounded about the best of the new stuff. In Excelsis, which I thought would translate easily to live performance was maybe the weakest. Endgame and Cull were in the middle, but I'm their champion, I'm just happy they were done. And it seemed to me, a professional musician would have to correct me, that no effects were used on any channel during the new material, whereas they had no fear treating vocals and drums on the older numbers. The new songs sounded as if they were left to stand or fall on their own (except for the reverb on the dubby Ladbroke, another winning performance).

And This World Hell came off very well, despite the derision of it sometimes found on this digest. Jaz admitted it was a one take that Geordie refused to go back and touch, so it's really maturing during the course of this tour, and was tight and powerful in person.

And it's still a kick to see the original band do the old stuff.

Great to spend some time in person with the Gatherers too! Alex, Yossy, Adam, Chris & Meghan, and Frank I hope we're bending elbows again sooner than later at the next show. I promise to be more rested and a better conversationalist. Safe home Chris & Meghan, and Frank Coleman I never got to say goodnight, so, goodnight Frank Coleman wherever you are . . . . . .