[kj] NYC Reviews?

LONESTYLE at aol.com LONESTYLE at aol.com
Sat Dec 4 14:56:40 EST 2010

Thanks Alex! Maybe their set list will change?

Cheers,

~ LB

In a message dated 12/4/2010 10:15:20 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,
vassifer at earthlink.net writes:

Hi y'all....

Well, Jon gave you the setlist and Chris gave you the basic details,
but here's my take.

Got to shitty Shades of Green around 7:30, was joined in due course by
Yossy (Joseph/Exorcist) and Adam (the Stranger) and big Matt Burke.
Had some pints and a good ol' chat. Repaired to the venue around 9:40.
Lots of folks milling about --- and, like Chris said, a surprisingly
sizable amount of young people.

Good sized crowd, but not capacity. Plenty of elbow room. Was found by
the great Frank Coleman and Chris & Meghan. Stood around drinking
pricey beer and mulling over merch options. Opening band were Android
Something-or-other, and were entirely forgettable.

In the crowd, I chatted with Big Takeover-writer, resident local punk
icon Jack Rabid and one of the glamorous twins from The School of
Seven Bells. Interesting to learn she's a massive Killing Joke fan ...
and smokin' hott.

Band assumed stage to sound of "Blade Runner" snippets. You've seen
the setlist. I'd have liked a bit more from certain albums, but no
real complaints. "Love Like Blood" dedicated to Raven and Yoof's dad.
No "Raven King." No "Singularity".

Overall, the performance lacked the intensity of the 2008 sets, but
was still righteous. Still blown away to see Big Paul up there
twacking away (watching him during "The Wait" and "Fall of Because"
were total highlights for me).

Great closing rendition of "Pandemonium,".... which has never been one
of my faves. Storming version, though.

Afterwards, we repaired to 119 bar around the corner (to the
mellifluous strains of The Damned, Richard Hell & the Voidoids and
other classic punk tracks). Drank a bit more and chatted. Mulled over
notion of camping outside of stage door to possibly chat with the
boys, but it was getting later, it was getting colder and honestly, I
never want to be 'that guy' .... the sycophantic hanger-on who wants a
piece them when they're trying to relax after the show.

Ended up buying a shirt, but not the tour shirt (blighted by the image
from the album cover). Went for grey KJ one (Hammer/sickle logo) with
Captain Goggle-Face from the cover of last year's live box on the back.

Today, had to bring my little girl to a birthday party for one of her
classmates .... not precisely what my hangover needed.

Yossy took some pics. Check out his Facebook page.

Alex in NYC