[kj] Openers:

TB planetary at socal.rr.com
Fri Dec 3 12:08:52 EST 2010

Alexander Smith wrote:

Memorable support bands I'd never heard/seen before seeing them open for someone else:

Good:
The Secret Machines (opening for crappy Interpol).
The Volcano Suns (opening for The Wedding Present)
The Dwarves (opening for FEAR)
Pulp (opening for Blur)

Bad:
Far, far, far too many to cite.

Alex in NYC

++++++++++

Probably the most interesting opening band I've seen was U2 (plugging the October album) opening for The J Geils Band (plugging
their most successful album "Freeze Frame") in 1982 at the LA Sports Arena. How a decade or two make a huge difference in a band's
career.

Other notable openers include:

Blasters opening for Queen (1980 "Game" album tour)
Clash opening for The Who
Wendy O Williams opening for Motorhead
Guns n' Roses opening for The Lords of the New Church (club in 1986)
Social Distortion opening for Iggy Pop
Faith No More opening for Metallica (Black album tour)
Lenny Kravitz opening for The Cult (1991 - Pomona Valley Auditorium)
The Pixies opening for U2 (1992 ZooTV indoor tour - 2 shows)
Rage Against The Machine opening for U2 (1997 Pop tour)
Revolting Cocks opening for Ministry
Peaches / Bauhaus opening for Nine Inch Nails
Demolition Doll Rods opening for The Cramps (one of the Cramps' last shows before Lux died)
Black Rebel Motorcycle Club opening for The Jesus and Mary Chain

T.B.