[kj] Thank You, Linkin Park

sade1 saulomar1 at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 25 18:40:17 EDT 2010

> .. this template now, standard issue soft american rock....

But notice how then they "man it up" by throwing in equally bland hiphop-ish
beats to try to usurp that rogue/thug/black/"urban" mystique and feel,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tyr5_5l-w3I#t=0m31s (aptly named "faint.")

To all lyrics enthusiasts out there,
  in EuropeanSuperState there's the line, "From the Baltic to the Straits of
Gibraltar," which is similar to Pet Shop Boys' "From Lake Geneva to the Finland
station" line from "West End Girls."
So, is this type of geo-graphical/-political reference or device common, and
does it mean anything more than just referring to Europe in general? It seems
that in both the above lines there's a bit of an ominous or portending quality
to it.