[kj] (OT) Derf Scratch / Buzzcocks

Rheinhold Squeegee kjlist at live.com
Tue Aug 3 13:12:40 EDT 2010

"BTATS," "Pandemonium", "Democracy" and the 2003 eponymous release were the only KJ albums with actual US distribution, although technically you could throw "EDAVRE" in there as well.

I had a friend in the biz back in the 90's with access to sales data and the figure for "Pandemonium" (pre-reissue) was app. 16,000 in the US; "Democracy" was considerably less. "Night Time" was the next closest, with about 8,000, which was pretty good, considering it was all import.

KJ have never really "charted" in the US, except for "BTATS" which went to #194 for one week and KJ2003 which was at #30 on the Independent chart for three weeks. "Night Time" wouldn't have counted, again, because it was all import sales. I think "Pandemonium" showed up somewhere for a short time, but I can't find any info. It's been described as KJ's best-selling album in the US, but I can't correlate that to any chart action.

Others may reckon differently; I welcome their rebuttals.