[kj] OT: The Damned

gingoblin at easynet.co.uk gingoblin at easynet.co.uk
Sat Apr 24 07:54:59 EDT 2010

>Oliver wrote:

>Bryan James or not, pretty much everything The Damned did until 1982 is

>flawless. Flawless. This includes 1978's _Music for Pleasure_, as far as I

>am concerned, as well as, yes, their near-perfect, post-Bryan James

>masterpiece, _Machingeun Etiquette_, probably their greatest overall LP.

>(I first heard MG on cassette with the "Lemmy on bass" 'bonus tracks' put

>on, but they were NOT as listed bonus tracks, so that always made me

>think Lemmy had been in The Damned briefly!)

>Whether Bryan James was in the mix or not, I think The Damned were pretty

>much flawless up until _Strawberries_. Especially when you consider the

>time period/musical historica context/sociological blah blah blah, etc. :)

I'm in complete agreement... if Music For Pleasure is quietly removed from
the list!! I just can't get into it, and probably never will. Glad you're
liking it though!

I always liked the fact that the Damned did whatever the hell they
wanted... Curtain Call being a prime example. I thank them for opening up
my mind at an early age, otherwise I might be stuck listening to Special
Duties for ever more. Nah, surely it wouldn't be that bad. But still, the
combination of their chaotic punk gigs and sublime studio recordings was
just perfect.

Dave in Edinburgh