[kj] OT: The Damned (was: Top 50 of 2000-2010)

B. Oliver Sheppard bigblackhair at sbcglobal.net
Thu Apr 22 12:25:09 EDT 2010

This is my breakdown of what w're talking about. An asterisk next to a
song title indicates a song that, AFAIK, they never playeed aftr 1978 or
1979, no matter what. (FYI: The Damned were my "gateway drug" into punk
in my arly teens so I began collecting alls orts of shit about them
since them, always loved them way more than the Sex Pistols or Clash, etc.):

1. _Damned, Damned, Damned_ LP from 1976/1977 ("1976" since some songs
are from that year) - wholly written by Bryan James, yet The Damned will
play many songs off this LP to this day.

2. 1977 Stretcher Case Baby" b/w "Sick of Being Sick" 45, also wholly
written by Bryan James. STill sorta playd by Th Damned today.

3. 1978 _Music for Pleasure_ LP, amazing punk rock album/document, yet
also wholly written by Bryan James except Dave Vanian gets a
"co-writing" song crdit for the song "Your ys" off said LP. At this
point most members of The Damned wantd to write their own songs and were
sick of James. They broke up and "disowned" this LP thanks to James's
dictatorial control.

4. 1979 - The Damned, but MINUS Bryan James, reform for a few lives
shows as "The Doomed."

5. 1979 - All ex-members of The Damned reform properly as "Th Damned,"
but kick Bryan James out, and bring it Algy Ward of The Saints as well
as Lu Edmonds of PiL, to make what would becom the amazing 1979 punk
masterpiece _Machinegun Etiquette_ which even featured Lemmy of
Motorhead on bass in a few songs. This was the result of pnt up
songwriting ability other members had, but which James had repressed,
for the 1st two Damned LPs.

6. Bryan James went into Lords of the New Church....

So....

To this day, AFAIK, The Damned refuse to play any songs off _Music for
Pleasure_ because they were getting sick of being treated like James's
robots at that time. That's the impression I have from interviews. This
is a tad unfortunate since that LP -- _Music for Pleasure_ -- from an
outsider's perspective, does contain a lot of amazing songs. ("Money,"
"Politics," "Don't Cry Wolf," etc.") Oh well. :/

-0liver