[kj] Top 50 songs of 2000-2010

B. Oliver Sheppard bigblackhair at sbcglobal.net
Wed Apr 21 13:09:57 EDT 2010

Hmm, yeah - I know that after the epic _Damned, Damned, Damned_ they
released the 45 of "Stretcher Case Baby" b/w "Sick of Being Sick." I
realize one or two of those songs are on 1978's _Music for Pleasure_,
esp. as bonus tracks on remastered CDS, so it is kinda in the gray zone
- AFAIK.

But "Stretcher Case" is the closest I have EVER seen them play anything
off _Music for Pleasure_ since they re-formed in 1979. I've read
interviews where they (Capt. Sensible, Vanian, and even Scabies) loathe
_Music for Pleasure_ because they felt it was a huge Bryan James ego
fest, as he refused to let any of them write any of the songs, except
Vann the awesome song "Your Eyes" off that LP (_Music for Pleasure_,
that is.)

If anyone knows of any live performances of any songs off _Music for
Pleasure_ post-1979, besides "Stretcher Case Baby," lemme know. Because
what I have read is that that (amazing) LP has basically been disowned
by them. From an outsider's perspective it is a damned (no pun intended)
shame, as, even if it was a Bryan James-as-dictator LP they all
resented, James was an awesome songwriter and the stuff he wrote on that
LP kicks some incredible ass.

-0liver