[kj] Top 50 songs of 2000-2010

Alex Smith vassifer at earthlink.net
Fri Apr 16 14:14:35 EDT 2010

If memory serves, I discovered Killing Joke around the same time I was otherwise immersed in hardcore. My indoctrination to the band was the video for "Eighties." What I liked about them is that at that point in the proceedings, they personified a balance between the aggressive aesthetic of punk and melodic accessibility. From NIGHTTIME, I went backwards and hungrily devoured their earlier stuff, loving the angrier, less polished, more experimental material. Unfortunately, by the time BTATS rolled around, the balance was lost..... KJ was effectively chasing the dragon of mainstream acceptance and ultimately selling themselves out. But circa NIGHTTIME, they were the perfect band for me.

Now in terms of hardcore, I pretty much checked out and stopped really following it by the end of the 80's. I can't say what it was like in other cities, but the NYHC scene was overtaken by hordes of morons who seemed more intent on the "contact sport" element (i.e. burly thugs swinging their arms around, intentionally trying to hurt people) that with the music or the original sentiments. I didn't have any interest in the more slackjawed crop of local bands (Madball, 25 Ta Life and all that bores the shit out of me). It struck me that the "punk" aspect of NYHC was totally excised (both sartorially and musically). What was left was a bunch of sweaty guys in sports jerseys in a glorified rugby scrum. No thanks. Jocks, once again, ruin everything.

That's when I got more and more into Anglo bands like the Mission (who I used to love), the Sisters, the Nephs, Theatre of Hate, etc. etc. and then-christened "college rock" like the Feelies, the Plimsouls, the Hoodoo Gurus and whatnot. After a while, I got tired of worrying about the distinctions.

Alex in NYC