[kj] Top 50 songs of 2000-2010

B. Oliver Sheppard bigblackhair at sbcglobal.net
Fri Apr 16 11:55:14 EDT 2010

Mr. Alex Smith of NYC wrote: "Jay Reatard was a popular artist who died
young."

ME:

Wow. Define "popular."

There's Killing Joke "popular," (You now, as in the list we're on?) and
there's Jay Reatard "popular." It ain't the same.

To wit: go to ANY club and request Jay Reatard. Request Killing Joke.
Which will win out? Hmmmmmmmm.... I can tell you from personal
experience it'll be the latter, and it'll 80% of the time be "Love Like
Blood" when it isn't "Eighties." I've ended up coming across as an
evangeist for Jay reatard when my point was to say, hey, here's my take
on the Top 50 Songs of the Past Decade. And, yep, one included Jay
Reatard. Alex's inccluded My Chemical Romance. And yet I am the spoil
sport? Jesus.

-0liver