[kj] Top 50 songs of 2000-2010

Alex Smith vassifer at earthlink.net
Fri Apr 16 08:58:28 EDT 2010

Honestly, I adore Fugazi's earlier records, but the law of diminishing returns convinced me not to pick up their last one. Maybe it's stellar, but I just never heard it.

Already talked about Wire. I quite liked "The Art of Stopping".

The Ex do nothing for me.

If you can't hear the awesomeness in LCD Soundsystem (avowed Killing Joke fans, it should be noted -- they freely admit they copped the bass line of "Losing My Edge" right from "Change" [itself ripped from War's "Me & Baby Brother"]), that's your problem, Ollie. :)

And as for that single by My Chemical Romance, I'll be the first to admit that they're lamentable choads of the lowest order, but a good single is a good single is a good single. It's a nice little pop tune, nothin' more, nothin' less. I wouldn't call it even remotely "punk" (it owes way more to Jim Steinman-styled production ala Meat Loaf, Bonnie Tyler et al.), but it's a decent `choon.

Alex in NYC