[kj] BBC in Concert sets

Alexander Smith vassifer at earthlink.net
Tue Apr 13 19:56:58 EDT 2010

Hi all...

So, who here ponied up the cash for the BBC album downloads? I did.
The `85 one is quite nice, albeit very NIGHTTIME-heavy (that's fine
for me, but not for all of you, I know). The `86 one is indeed mostly
the same as that BBC IN CONCERT release of several years back (the one
with the burning thing on the cover .... what is that, anyway?),
although unlike that disc, you get "Eighties" and
"Rubicon" (meanwhile, on THAT disc, you got a few old tracks from the
Reading festival). The version of "Eighties" on the `86 is somewhat
notable as they attempt to replicate the "Serious Dance Mix" of same
by giving Raven his own time in the spotlight. Curious, but far from
essential.

The biggest head-scratcher, meanwhile, remains the inclusion of that
horrible train wreck live version of "Chessboards" wherein Jaz and
whomever was on keyboards at the time *COMPLETELY* fall out of synch
with Geordie, Raven & Big Paul. The end results are embarrassingly
catastrophic.

Anyway, there ya have it.

Cheers,
Alex in NYC