[kj] Good exercise someone on FaceBook recommended

B. Oliver Sheppard bigblackhair at sbcglobal.net
Wed Apr 7 19:20:36 EDT 2010

Whether or not it's "important" to be "hip and informed" _ i have no
idea. I just know I like music and didn't start paying attention in 1998.

My mom loved Christopher Cross, Bonnie Tyler, Crystal Gayle, and a lot
of horible crap My aunt at least liked Black Sabbath, Devo, KISS (which
as a kid I loved), owned some Clash, etc. But as an only child I pretty
much had to find my own way into the realm of really good music. No
older brother or sister to get me into it, as I have found is so often
the case. For me it was skateboarding videos and magazines that started it.

Of course a lot of new bands remind one of older stuff. I still believe
we're in the "throwback era" or music, in that bands try to sound like,
emulate, or are compared to, bands that came before. But that doesn't
mean there still isn't great stuff out there. I've tried mentioning new
stuff on here, actually. Usually it seems like it gets brushed aside and
a lot of folks fall back into their pre-1995 time warp.

-Oliver